Friday, June 12, 2009

My First Week as a College Student

I never thought that this week would ever come, but now that it has, I want it to stay here! The class that I'm enrolled in, Autobiographical Reading and Writing, has made me appreciate myself more than I've ever had. Helen Fountain, my professor, has encouraged me and motivated me to open up about myself in ways I thought I would never do. The book we're reading, our own autobiographies, and our class discussions have made me speak about past memories that I thought were instinct.
The one thing that I've never been able to do, is show myself compassion. Ms. Helen has come in and knocked my way of thinking out of the ballpark. She constantly tells us that we have to show ourselves compassion in order to be good writers. The hardest thing I had to do this week was let myself tell the tales that were suppose to stay memories. Not something I was writing my paper about.
I guess in this week alone I've learned that I am capable to be free. I shouldn't be afraid to write or say what I feel. No matter what other people might say, I have to show myself compassion and be free to fall. Ms. Helen met me only 4 days ago, and yet she sees the writer I can become. I'm excited for what the next 4 weeks will bring out of the diamond in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment